Monday, July 11, 2005

Progressive Melee! GameCube's Display Isn't As Bad As You Think

Now if you were asked the standard TV Mode for most GameCube games, you would probably say 480i. There are GameCube games with the Progressive Scan, but it seems like not many have that little compatible symbol on the back of their box. I recently got Metroid Prime 2 finally and was glad to see it has Progressive Scan Enabled on the back, seeing that I am one of the less than 1% that use the GameCube's component cables on a Progressive Scan enabled TV. In fact unfortunately because it is only under 1%, newer GameCubes don't have the port for the component cables, but you can talk to Nintendo to see if you can aquire an older GameCube with the port, it just so happens I still have my original GameCube with the port. Well I did a little search online to see what titles were Progressive Scan. I saw tons and tons of games that even I had that had no clue of it being Progressive Scan. I thought that there can't be any way all those games are Progressive Scan, but they are. I even just recently found out how to enable Progressive Scan on games like Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, and Zelda The Wind Waker. You have to hold B as you turn on the system for just about every Progressive Scan game. So I popped in Luigi's Mansion, a GameCube launch title, held B in startup, and wouldn't you know that it asked me if I wanted to enable Progressive Scan. The game looks amazingly sharper than before, and the movement is so fine that it looks like a made for PC game like Half-Life 2. I looked down the list and Super Smash Bros. Melee is also Progressive Scan!!! Tons and tons and tons and tons of GameCube games are Progressive Scan, nearly every single popular one. It just goes to show you that Nintendo does not like to go low with the graphics and that they do not tend to stick with low graphics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google